[Samba] Authoring a HOWTO

Adam Smith adam.smith at sageautomation.com
Wed Jan 22 00:45:01 GMT 2003

> I am in the process of authoring a Samba-LDAP-PDC HOWTO for Mandrake
> users that will allow cross platform ( Linux / M$ ) network user
> authentication.

I was using a similar HOWTO, located at
http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb-howto.html, but because I am completely
new to LDAP some of it was Double Dutch.  How are you going to go about
authoring your HOWTO, and what kind of pre-requisits will it require in
relation to LDAP?

At the moment I'm considering using straight SMB authentication because
I don't think I have the time to learn LDAP before I get a test
environment running, and due to the lack of skill with LDAP that I have,
I needed to rely heavily on a LDAP/SAMBA-PDC HOWTO.

OpenLDAP is installed on this test environment, but not running.  How
difficult will it be migrating from SMB Authentication to LDAP
Authentication down the track?

Adam