[Samba] Samba Encrypted Passwords

Robert Adkins raa at impelind.com
Tue Jan 21 20:45:01 GMT 2003

Hello All,

	I am building a redundant secondary server here in the office and I have
a few questions about how Samba stores the passwords created for the
Samba accounts.

	If I am not mistaken the smbpasswd file contains the encrypted
passwords, which would mean, if I copied that file to the correct
location on the backup server, then the users would be able to access the
backup server, if I needed to switch things immediately.

	I know, it would be best to move authentication to a centrally
controlled system, like NIS or OpenLDAP. This is something that I will be
looking into and configuring, as time avails itself to me. However, I am
concerned with the immediate future at this time.

	What happens if my main server has a hardware failure tomorrow? Will the
files I copied over to the backup server allow me to resume services
immediately?

	What I need to know is what files MUST I copy over from the main to the
backup server in order to preserve the network services all the users are
comfortable with?

	Thanks for the assistance.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II