[Samba] Samba BDC to Windows 2000 PDC

philip.quinney at ntlworld.com philip.quinney at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 21 13:44:01 GMT 2003

Hey All,

I was hoping you could give me a little advice on this situation:

We have a Windows 2000 PDC (ugghhh) at our main site. We are now adding another server to a remote site. We were hoping to run a Samba server in this position, as it would be nice to have the machine doing both File and Print Sharing as well as acting as a Proxy Server for Internet Access.

I must admit I have lost touch with samba a little in the past. I knew that not so long ago it was not possible for a Samba machine to act as a BDC. Is this still the case, and if so what is the best way of getting the remote site's server set up?

Should we have it as a BDC, or have a separate domain for the remote site?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give, and for your time.

Phil Quinney.