[Samba] newbie on winbind.. help required.

akshaysalkar akshaysalkar at indiatimes.com
Tue Jan 21 11:03:01 GMT 2003

I would like to know what exactly does winbind do.?
(i have read the documentation but i am yet confused)

prior to having winbind incorporated in samba,there was smb, nmb doing
the
authentication using samba server on linux.
so samba acted as file and print server + authentcation server for
windows clients
including the NT server.

NT Server -----> Linux Server (Samba)

mswinclient1 mswinclient2 mswinclient3 etc.

so if we look at the above rough picture....
my all 3 mswinclients can do sharing to NT server as well as Linux
having samba.
the ntserver can also do sharing to Linux having samba.

but what if have 1 NT server, 5 or even more (probably many) linux
workstations
and also lots of MsWindows workstations

how do i do sharing between linux workstations and the MS windows
clients and the NT
server.

does this mean that I have to install samba server on each and every
linux workstation.

also then what is the job of winbind.?
as far as the material i have read ... i can figure out that
a solution has come up by the samba team where the password
authetication that was done
twice, for windows server as well as linux server has been eliminated,
thus making the
samba server do no authentication any more, while the NT server does
the full fledged
authentication.

is there anything more?

regards