[Samba] samba and dhcp

Marian Mlcoch, Ing mm at tsmp.sk
Tue Jan 21 07:52:00 GMT 2003

Primary samba server is not special blocked for DHCP getting IP, but this IP
must be set before start smb.
This is first posible problem when you start it on init sequence try start
only manual afther your linux is loaded and you login as root run
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start. Before this check if your ifconfig reply proper
eths.
Secondary problem is if you install vmware its have samba inbuilded and can
be start automatic if you this configure on install. Then your os samba
canot start it colision with vmware-smbd on port and ip. You can only one of
this sambas start simply. Try rerun vmware-config.pl and set off samba on it
if you can run samba from redhat.

PS: In your config not need line interfaces as you write in another mail and
this is bad. Hosts allow is posible but only for restriction when you not
understand not use!

Bye.