[Samba] samba and dhcp

Hidong Kim hkim at decode.com
Tue Jan 21 05:45:01 GMT 2003

Hi,

Can a machine getting its IP address by DHCP run as a Samba server?
I've set up several Red Hat machines as Samba servers.  They all have
static IP addresses.  I want to have a Red Hat 8.0 laptop which gets its
IP address by DHCP running as a Samba server.  I usually start Samba
with "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start".  When I do this on the laptop, it
says that smb and nmb start OK.  But when I do "/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
status" on the laptop, it says that smbd is stopped and nmbd is running.
  When I do "smbclient -L localhost" on the laptop, it says that
connection is refused to 127.0.0.1.  I've tried installing Samba 2.2.7a
from source, and installing Samba 2.2.5 from RPMS.  I still can't start
smbd.  Thanks for any suggestions,

Hidong