[Samba] Not listening for calling name

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Jan 20 17:05:01 GMT 2003

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, serdar aslan wrote:

>    Thanks your helps we have installed Samba to our openbsd operating
> system. Now we have a windows 98 nstalled computer and an open bsd
> nstalled computer. We want to see the files which are located in the
> openbsd computer.
>
>  For that reason we have made the following configurations:
>
>  In the smb.conf:
>  workgroup=deneme
>  netbios name=deneme

No! No! Please give your machine a name other than what you call the
workgroup. Having both the same creates a name clash.

>  hpsts allow=host name of win98 installed computer 127.0.0.1

Do NOT set 'hosts allow' untill you have a working environment.
Also, use the IP address, not the MS Windows machine name.

> [tmp]
>  comment=Temporary file space
>  path=/tmp
>  read only =no
>  public=yes
>
>   In windows98:
>  we installed TCP/IP
>  file and prnter sharing
>  client for microsoft Networks
>
>  In the identification page we changed the workgroup=deneme
>  In the access control we changed to share level access control

Ok.

>  Some observations:
>  from network neighborhood >> find computer name
>  we have searched deneme and we were succesfull That is we fount the
> deneme samba server.
>
>  Problem:
>  When we try to see the contents of deneme it gives an error:
> " not logged on"
>
>   then n the openbsd installed computer i have run the following command:
>  smbcilent //deneme/tmp
>   then we saw the following output:
>   added interface ip ="ip of samba server"  bcast=... nmask=255.....
>   got a positive name query response from "ip of samba server"
>   session request to deneme failed (not listening for callling name)
>   got a positive name query response from "ip of samba server"
>   session request to *smbserver failed (not listening for calling names)

Check the logs in /var/log/samba, or in /usr/local/samba/var for more
information on what happened when you ran smbd and nmbd.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org