[Samba] Samba and XP - Updated Registry - Still no go

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Mon Jan 20 01:31:02 GMT 2003

Hi Glenn J. Rowe,

you wrote:

> One user on our church network is using XP Home Edition. I updated
> the registry as I have seen posted on various sites.
>
> He is still not able to connect.  I have the feeling it is because
> he has joined a "workgroup" and not a "domain".  I am able to change
> the workgroup name but I can't seem to figure out how to join a
> domain instead.
>
> Is there a restriction that the "Home Edition" can not join a domain?

yes, that's one of the restrictions of the XP Home Edition from the
money making company MS  ;o)
The only trick I know ist to use

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/Twe
akUiPowertoySetup.exe

and here you have to configure an autologon to the domain. But this is
very insecure and you have to change this new for every user, which
want to log on to the domain.

der tom