[Samba] Samba Fails

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Sun Jan 19 20:48:01 GMT 2003

This smb.conf obviously says you are new.
You have stuff in your global which seems to belong in shares.
It would be much better to start off with a very simple smb.conf.
Try something like this:
[global]
	netbios name = smb
	interfaces = 192.168.0.1  (or whatever yours is)
	security = SHARE
	guest account = ftp (make sure ftp exists on our linux box)

[AllFiles]
	comment = All Files
	path = /
	read only = no
	guest ok =  yes

Then, run testparm against it. (I don't know if capital letters are a good
idea to use on the command line.)

Then, walk through the DIAGNOSIS.txt that comes with the sources.

If this works, then methodically add features, one at a time.

Don't forget to stop/start smbd each time you change the smb.conf.
You could just kill -1 samba_pid.

Joel