[Samba] Logon Scripts for Mandrake 9.0

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Sat Jan 18 09:54:00 GMT 2003

> From: "David Sexton" <dsexton_1 at charter.net>
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:16:00 -0500
> Subject: [Samba] Logon Scripts for Mandrake 9.0
>

> I was wondering if some one could help me make some basic
> login scripts and tell me where to place them.  I know
> nothing about them.  I am trying to get my windows based
> mechines to login to my Mandrake 9.0 server

This isn't really a samba question, as you can write the login scripts as
batch files on a windows machine, and copy them to your samba server. I am
sure a google search would turn up a few examples. But most uses for login
scripts include mapping shares (net use, see 'net help use' on a windows
mahcine) or importing registry settings (regedit /s regfile.reg) or
copying files etc.

If you need to customise logins scripts per-user, per-machine, per-OS, you
may want to try ntlogon, which is in the Mandrake contribs (set yourself
up at http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon if you haven't yet, and you should be
able to 'urpmi ntlogon'). Edit the file /etc/ntlogon.conf, it's pretty
self-explanatory. Also, uncomment the lines for ntlogon in the netlogon
share of the default smb.conf in Mandrake. If you have mangled yours, take
a look at:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba/smb-domain-controller.conf

> I have windows
> ME and XP i got ME to login but XP won't. Can some one
> help

That may be a different issue. Firstly, I don't think you can join XP Home
to a domain (any domain, NT/2k/samba). Secondly, XP Pro, like NT and 2k
requires machine accounts (check that your 'add user script' is setup),
and that you join the domain with the root account (unless you are using
an LDAP backend on 2.2.x). So, you would need to do 'smbpasswd -a' as
root, and when joining the machine use 'root' as the username, and the
password you entered for 'smbpasswd -a'. Finally, XP won't connect to a
server that doesn't support signing/sealing unless you apply the registry
patch, available in the samba-doc package:

[bgmilne at bgmilne bgmilne]$ rpm -ql samba-doc |grep -i signorseal
/usr/share/doc/samba-doc-2.2.6/docs/Registry/WinXP_SignOrSeal.reg

Finally, make sure you have run updates (I have't on this machine as you
can see above ...)

Buchan