[Samba] Printing from Win2000 to Linux

Michael Herber dennismail at gmx.net
Sat Jan 18 08:38:00 GMT 2003

I have two computers here - one with Win2000 and the other with SuSE
8.1. My goal is that I can print from Win to my printer connected on the
Linux machine.
Now I tried quite a few things but nothing will work. First of all, here
my smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2003/01/11 16:17:19

# Global parameters
[global]
	security = share
	guest account = nobody
	guest ok = Yes
	printing = cups
	printer name = lp
	veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/
	load printers = Yes

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	valid users = %S
	read only = Yes
	guest ok = No
	veto files =
	browseable = No
	fstype = FAT

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	browseable = yes
	public = yes
	guest ok = yes
	writable = yes
	printable = yes
	path = /var/spool/samba

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	browsable = yes
	guest ok = yes
	read only = yes

I know that there are two possibilities to install the printer on the
Win machine:

1. When I try to install it as local printer, I select "Standard
TCP/IP-Port" and enter the ip of the Linux computer "e.g.
129.168.0.20").  The next dialogue tells me that the device can't be
found an I can select the type of device (e.g. "generic network card").
So I stopped here because oviously, this doesn't work correctly.

2. As network printer. Windows finds my Linux, even the printer, but
tells me that the server doesn't offer a correct driver for the printer.
I can then install a driver on the local machine, that means the Windows
one, right? Now I downloaded the right driver and select the .inf-file.
But then a dialogue tells me that the driver isn't the correct one for
this version of windows or not available. So no chance here too.

But I know from other users in the net that it is possible to print from
Win 2000 to Linux correctly. So is somebody here who can help me till
this really works?