[Samba] Need help! My major screw up!

issue qad issueqad at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 17 16:01:01 GMT 2003

Need help for my major screw up.

I am first time SAMBA user. System information:
Unix = HP-UX 11.0
Network = Windows 2000

Things that I did:
1)	Logged into our test unix box as “root”. Created a
directory “samba” underneath “/home/root”.
2)	Went to samba website and downloaded
“samba-2.2.7a.tar.gz” onto my “C:\” (my desktop). I am
aware that the latest “How to” book in its
“Installation section asks me to use command “wget
http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/samba-2.2.7a.tar.gz”
from my unix prompt, but unfortunately “wget” does not
work on my unix box.
3)	FTP the “samba-2.2.7a.tar.gz” to test unix box in
binary mode.
4)	Used “gunzip samba-2.2.7a.tar.gz”
5)	Next step would be to verify Samba’s PGP signature.
But again, unfortunately, “gpg” command does not work
on my machine, so had to proceed further without
verification. Should I have used a different approach
for this verification?
6)	Used “cd /tmp”. Then did “tar xf
/home/root/samba/samba-2.2.7a.tar”. This did create
the directory “samba-2.2.7a” underneath “/tmp” and
with all the other folders and files underneath
“samba-2.2.7a”
7)	Then went back to
“/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/hp/samba-2.2.7a” website
and downloaded the HP-UX depot
“samba_2.2.7a_HPUX_withwinbind.depot.gz” onto my “C:\”
and then FTP’ed that over to test unix box in
underneath “/tmp” directory in binary mode.
8)	Then used “swinstall –s
/tmp/samba_2.2.7a_HPUX_withwinbind.depot.gz Samba”.
9)	Then used “/sbin/init.d/samba start” to start smbd
and nmbd.
10)	Then edited my “/etc/nsswitch.conf” to add
“passwd: files winbind
grouyp: files winbind”
11)	I think I am also supposed to do some setup in
“/etc/pam.d”, but this file never got created. It does
not exist.
12)	Used “/usr/local/samba/bin/smpasswd –j mydomain –r
mypdc –U administrator”. This joined the unix server
to “mydomain”. But also gave the error message about
“Unicode_map.850” and “Unicode_map.ISO8559” didn’t
exist underneath “codepages” directory. I know that I
do have “CP850.txt” and “CPIS8559.txt” files, but I
was not able to create those binary Unicode files
because I do not have the right “make_unicodemap”
excecutable. Can someone help me with this? I have
“make_unicodemap.c” executable but that seems be
taking input file in format “unicode_def.850”, which I
do not have. But note that I was able to Join to
mydomain.
13)	When I looked at “/usr/local/samba/log.smbd” and
“log.nmbd” files they had the same error message of
above two Unicode files not existing. But those two
processes “smbd and nmbd” start properly and I can see
them running on the box.
14)	Then copied libnss_winbind.so to “/lib” and
pam_winbind.so to /lib/security.
15)	I copied
“/tmp/samba-2.2.7a/examples/simple/smb.conf” to
/usr/local/samba/lib. I edited this file to add
following into [global]:
Winbind separator = +
Winbind cache time = 10
Template shell = /bin/bash
Template homedir = /home/%D/%U
Winbind uid = 10000-20000
Winbind gid = 10000-20000
Workgroup = mydomain
Security = domain
Password server = *
Encrypt passwords = yes
16)	 Then I start “winbind daemon” by using
“/usr/local/samba/bin/winbindd –s
/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf”.
17)	And bingo, I was able to achieve my objective of
able to access Unix files from my “windows explorer”
underneath “Network neighbourhood”.
18)	Now my problem begins. I tried to get fancy and
wanted to add some more directories that users can
access from Windows explorer. So I went ahead and
edited “/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf” for those
directories. Now I needed “winbindd” to see these
changes. But I did not how/from where to use “SIGHUP”
to reload my smb.conf. I did a “find / -name sighup
–print” and I was unable to get any instances. I tried
the same with SIGHUP (caps) and cannot find any
instances. So I thought of just taking down this TEST
unix box. I used “shutdown –ry now” [probably FIRST
MISTAKE during this samba set-up].
19)	After the unix box was back up I tried to use
start smbd and nmbd. “nmbd” was able to start up
without any problems. But smbd didn’t start. When I
looked at “log.smbd” I saw the error message of
“Unable to start messages database”. And when used
“/usr/local/samba/bin/smpasswd –j mydomain –r mypdc –U
administrator”, system still joined to mydomain. When
I start “winbindd”, it won’t start and gave me error
messages in “log.winbindd” that “Unable to start idmap
databases”. Also I noticed that my
“/usr/local/samba/var/locks” directory was GONE.
Because that was one of the error messages in
“log.winbindd” that could not find
“/usr/local/samba/var/locks”. That’s when I realized
that I could have corrupted the database files like
“/usr/local/samba/var/locks/winbindd_idmap.tdb” and
“messages.tdb”.
20)	That’s when I proceed to my biggest screw up of
reloading the entire software again. To do that, I
deleted following directories:
/tmp/samba-2.2.7a
/var/usr/local/samba
/home/root/samba
	I was not able to delete a file
“/usr/local/samba/lib/winbind/libnss_winbind.so”. If I
try to use “rm –f
/usr/local/samba/lib/winbind/libnss_winbind.so”. I get
the message “rm: libnss_winbind.so not removed.  Text
file busy”. I was logged in as “root”. So I was unable
to delete “/usr/local/samba” directory. Also, I
deleted the file “/etc/rc.config.d/samba”. Then I
started to load things back by using above steps 1
through 8. After this when I looked at
“/usr/local/samba/” there was nothing created
underneath there by this new load. No other
directories created, only thing in there was
“lib/winbind” with the file “libnss_winbind.so” which
I was not able to delete. Also, file
“/etc/rc.config.d/samba” did not get created either.
Probably this file is used for running smbd and nmbd.

Many of you are probably saying “I screwed up big
time”, I know. So what can I do at this point? Any
chances of me to get back to where I was (working
condition)? This is all on my test unix box.

Appreciate all your sympathy.