[Samba] Samba password aging w/win98 Clients

Bob Avery-Babel Bob at yellowbugcomputers.com
Fri Jan 17 14:16:00 GMT 2003

Hello all. Thanks so much with the assistance people provided with helping
me set up a pdc, and giving me the hints to be able to change my smbpasswd
and have it sync with the passwd file, from the win98 client.

Now I need to figure out how to enforce password aging so people will change
their passwords, and be prompted at the win98 client to do so.

Here is what happens now. When the unix password expires, the win98 client
user can still log into the domain, it looks like because the smbpasswd does
not expire. Any other function that requires the unix passwd (mail, ssh)
does not work of course.

Here is my chat line in the smb.conf:

 passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
 passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
 unix password sync = Yes

This part works fine. When the smbpasswd is changed the unix passwd is
changed as well.

Is there any way to have them expire at the same time as well and a prompt
sent out to the win98 clients so they know to change the password?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Bob