[Samba] Samba Question !

darren_shaw at schneider.co.uk darren_shaw at schneider.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 09:54:01 GMT 2003

My name is Darren Shaw and I work in the IT Dept for an Engineering
company.

I would like some help me with a Samba problem I would very much like to
resolve quickly if possible.

I am using Solaris 7 and Samba version 2.2.2.
I have created a local Solaris User Account called 'oracle' and also added
the Samba User name 'oracle'.

I have setup a couple of Samba shares and want to do the following ...

The 'scanfiles' share I want to be username & password protected and be
writable only by username 'oracle' !
The 'sap' share I want to be public and read only by anyone !

The following smb.conf file I am using allows both shares to be
accessed without entering a username and password.

[global]

   workgroup = workgroup

   log file = /usr/local/samba/logs/log.%m
   security = share

[scanfiles]
        comment = Directory for Scanned Images
        path = /data_archive/repository
        writable = yes
        public = yes

[sap]
        comment = Directory for SAP
        path = /data_archive/repository/SAP
        read only = yes
        public = yes

Question.
How can I set the 'scanfiles' share to prompt for a username and password ?
I take it the 'sap' share is ok as it seems to do what I want at the
moment.

Many Thanks,

Darren Shaw