[Samba] Bad crash with Samba 2.2.7 and linux software RAID-5

Ryan B Lynch rbl207 at nyu.edu
Fri Jan 17 01:55:59 GMT 2003

While running a combination of Samba 2.2.7 and software (md) RAID-5 on a
RedHat 8.0 machine, I have encountered a peculiar behavior.  If anyone
can advise, or report a similar happening, I would greatly appreciate it.

If any user logs into the console (GUI login to X) while users are
browsing or accessing files on the Samba share, smbd processes will
begin to enter a "D" state, and freeze access to the disk.  The
processes can't be killed, because they are (to my knowledge) waiting on
the hardware for something.  I can't even umount the disk, because
there's a process using it that can't die.

If this continues long enough, the whole machine locks up.  And I mean
LOCKS UP.  Frozen video, and no response at all.  The only way I've been
able to recover control of the machine is to reboot from the switch.

Also, there isn't anything in the log files.  Nothing.  On autopsy of
the rebooted system, the system logs and the Samba logs show nothing
strange prior to the reboot.  I can log in via SSH, and everything is
fine.  If no one logs into the console, uptime is days, so far, with no
errors or problems.

I umounted the RAID array, and created a test share on the boot drive,
which is an ordinary single-disk device.  This did not cause a failure
or problem.

I have appended my smb.conf file to the end of this, even though I
strongly suspect that a problem with md is causing all of this.

Thanks,

Ryan Lynch