[Samba] File access rights and usernames from Windows XP client

Achton N. Netherclift achton at heaven.dk
Fri Jan 17 00:36:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have recently set up a small network containing a Debian Samba 2.2.3a-12
server
and Windows XP pro and Windows ME clients. The Linux box acts as a domain
master,
and this seemingly works flawless with XP. However, I'm having trouble
getting writeaccess
and translating the usernames on the XP client to the corresponding ones on
the Linux box.

What I'd like to accomplish is this:

1) on share A, I'd like the XP client (geddeth) to gain full R/W access,
using the share as root
2) on shares B-D, I'd like the XP client to gain full R/W access, using the
share as <username>,
and group 'users'
3) on shares B-C, I'd like the ME client (anders) to have read access,
using the share as <username2>,
and group 'users'
4) on share D, I'd like the ME client to have R/W access, using the share
as <username2>,
and group 'users'
5) on shares B-D, I'd like everyone else to have read access only, using
the guest account

So far, I've achieved some of the above. For instance, when browsing share
A with the XP box,
smbstatus tells me the following:

Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
a             root     root       294   geddeth  (10.0.0.4) Fri Jan 17
01:15:57 2003

But I still only have read access. How can this be?

Using share B with the XP box returns the following:

Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
b             root     users      294   geddeth  (10.0.0.4) Fri Jan 17
01:16:11 2003

The groupid is correct, but the user is not. It should be translated into
the machine name.
I also do not have write access to this share (goes for shares C+D as well).

Here's the smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
	netbios name = ISILDUR
	server string = %h [Samba %v Linux]
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000