[Samba] is use rhosts = yes still supported?

Jon Niehof jniehof at paladigm.com
Thu Jan 16 21:48:01 GMT 2003

> I'll look into it - Given I was told I could drop it if I so cared, I
> didn't think anybody would notice ;-)

Well, since I'm still on 2.2.7a, just file me under "won't
complain either way."

Details of my immediate problem:

The smb.conf for background:
[global]
         workgroup = IMAGE.COM
         server string = ALEX File Server
         hosts allow = 192.168.2. 127. 10.0.0.2
         use rhosts = yes
         guest account = nobody
         map to guest = Never
         log file = /var/log/samba.%m
         max log size = 200
         security = share
         wins support = yes
         dns proxy = yes
         local master = no
[LEGAL]
         comment = Legal Clients
         path = /raid/legal
         public = no
         browsable = yes
         writable = yes
         printable = no
         hosts allow = 192.168.2.6 10.0.0.2
         guest only = no
         oplocks = True
         level2oplocks = True
         mangle case = yes
         default case = lower
         preserve case = no
         create mask = 0775
         directory mask = 0775

rhosts:
# cat /home/administrator/.rhosts
192.168.2.6 administrator

When I attempt to connect the share (from 2K box, logged in
as administrator) I'm prompted for a password. If I enable
guest access, there is no prompt for the password and it
falls straight into the guest user. Using security=user gets
into the session.c authentication which doesn't reference
lp_use_rhosts at all.

It seems like the first call into authorise_login never
checks the rlogin (bails at checking for non-blank password
in check_user_equiv) and then drops into guest mode; there
is then a second call which *does* check (and successfully
finds the .rhosts entry) but by this point we're being a
guest so it doesn't do me any good :) I need to have it be
the same username as on the server to have permissions work
out properly.

Now, I don't understand the internals of samba well enough
to comprehend this two-call process so I'm having a rather
rough time figuring out what's wrong here.