[Samba] guest ok = yes

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Jan 16 21:20:01 GMT 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Roland Thompson wrote:

Roland,

First a few sanity checks:

1. Your WinXP users (ie: the login name and password) are in tyour
smbpasswd file right?
	eg: you did:
		smbpasswd -a 'user_id'
	for each user?

2. If the WinXP login name (user_id) differs from the Unix/Linux login
name, you need in your smb.conf [globals]
	username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

in the file: /etc/samba/smbusers

root = administrator
unixuser = windows_user
fredm = 'Fred Mackers'
joep = joseph

3. Did you cause the WinXP to join the domain?

My guess is that you did not do this as you do not have 'domain logons =
yes' etc. In this case you need to make sure that your user credentials
match the Unix/Linux ones exactly, or else use the username map facility
to affect the same. In any case the Unix/Linux smbpasswd needs to be
identical with the WinXP logon one.

Hope this helps.

- John T.

Please note the following:

> It was html, sorry wont happen again.
>
> Thanks for the advice but it still doesn't work. I've tried everything
> that's been suggested, but still asks for a username and password
>
> The client is XP if that makes any difference.
> Do I have a allow access from my ip address?
>
> Smb.conf
>

> [global]
> 	netbios name = THOR
> 	workgroup = LANGHOLME