[Samba] Samba PDC + 2K/XP

K. Hawkes k.hawkes at zombies.force9.net
Thu Jan 16 18:45:59 GMT 2003

Hey,

I am just wondering how you enforce security (such as permissions) on local
workstations while running Samba 2.2.x as a PDC with 2K/XP workstations?  As
some of us don't have or want 2000 Server to enforce things like policies
etc... how do you all do it.  E.g. If we want 'Administrator' to have access
to all start menu etc... yet standard users to have only programs, no
settings access etc.

We are currently using POLEDIT (on an NT Server) and GPEDIT.MSC on the local
workstations, this is, if you have ever used, is not that great for
centralised Administration, nor is it easy to maintain with a Network of
over 300+ workstations, most of which are Win98, however we are starting to
get more Win2K/WinXP clients, so a centralised solution would be great.

I apologise for the fact this is not directly about Samba, but if anyone
could throw me some information or links on solutions for this sort of
management solution, I'd be most grateful.

Thanking you in advance,

Mr. K. Hawkes

ICT Support Technician

"May darkness be your only ally, for in the shadows you can hide" - Kris
1998-2002
"In darkness, there is strength." - Kris 2002
"What we do in life echoes in eternity." - Anon