[Samba] Samba BDCs and machine trust account passwords

Mikko Kortelainen mkortela at cc.hut.fi
Thu Jan 16 13:23:06 GMT 2003

>> Would it be possible for a workstation to negotiate a new password
>> with a SLAVE server, that would be overwritten whenever the master
>> sends a new copy of smbpasswd to the slaves?

> Are you sure that your slaves are configured as BDCs?  It smells to
> me like they think their local server is the PDC.  The sync then
> kills their password.

Here's (what I think is) the essential part from my SLAVE smb.conf:

  security = user
  domain logons = yes
  domain master = no
  os level = 64
  local master = yes
  preferred master = yes

The MASTER configuration is the same except that the "domain master" is set to yes.

I've understood that the above configuration causes the workstations to send their password updates to the MASTER. Am I wrong? If I am, is there any way in 2.2.7 to correct this (either so that the workstations change their passwords directly with the master, or that the slave sends an update message to the master automatically). Or do I have to go to 3.0 and LDAP? (which I'd rather not prefer, yet)

My users have no problems changing their user account passwords from anywhere, so there must be a difference in the way these two things work...?

Mikko Kortelainen
mikko.kortelainen at hut.fi