[Samba] No access to root-level of shares on NT4 SP6 with Samba 2.2.2 on FBSD-4.7

Florian Lorenzen florenzen at web.de
Thu Jan 16 12:18:01 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I've got a strange problem with my German NT4 SP6 and my FreebSD-4.7
Samba 2.2.2 server running as a PDC. I connect to several shares on the
Samba-machine by linking them to drive letters. I can browse them but I
can not copy anything to the root-level of the share, neither
directories nor files. The error message is on the NT4-box is:

BLA kann nicht kopiert werden: Der Zugriff wurde verweigert.

Stellen Sie sicher, daß der Datenträger weder voll noch schreibgeschützt
ist und die Datei gerade nicht verwendet wird.

As I said, I have German NT. In English this is more or less:

BLA can not be copied: Access was denied.

Make sure that the device is neither full nor write-protected and that
the file is not currently in use.

This happens when I try to copy to the root-level of the linked drive,
e. g. G: (\\claire\public), and also when using the
network-neighbourhood-browser.

I can create directories in the top-level and copy anything into deeper
levels of the file-hierarchy. Thus, there is not a permission-problem,
neither on Unix-level nor on Samba filemasks. This problem does not
happen on a Win98 machine on the same net, also using the Samba server
as PDC. Everything else (profiling, domain control etc.) is working
fine. Under some file-browsing dialogs (mainly in older programs) I even
cannot open the network-drive to dive into deeper directories.

This is all in all very strange to me, because everything else is
working fine. Does anyone know, where the problem is? On the NT- or on
the Samba-machine? And how this can be solved.

Help is appreciated,

Florian