[Samba] Help!

Chris Nash chris at xtt.co.za
Thu Jan 16 11:56:01 GMT 2003

hi guys.
this yesterday i was working on my samba server (which is now sorta working as a domain controller, FINALLY). but everytime a user tries to login access is denied and a message is added into /var/log/messages: "cannot access passdb". just that. no more, no less.
any ideas. users are starting to need the server very much.

I think the version is 2.2.02?
I reinstalled samba this morning. same problem. The problem doesn't exist if
it isn't used as a domain controller though. there's the catch! I need it as
a domain controller. And running by Monday morning!
I've used it as is from the SuSE 8.0 installtion. Don't know how to
recompile and so far behind schedule that I can afford to mess up! got over
300 users on. Don't want to lose them if possible. Just gotten used to this
version and skittish of change now (because of time constraints)!
smbpasswd file is in the default /etc/samba/ and it's rights have not been
changed since installation. All users are listed in passwd file as well.

Any of this making sense?

extract from the var/log/messages, all from smbd daemon:

api_samr_set_userinfo: unable to unmarshall SAMR_Q_SET_USERINFO

passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c: pdb_getsampwdrid (1416)

unable to open passdb database

Does this make any sense?

chris