[Samba] printer driver access denied

Norman Zhang nzhang at arkon-group.com
Thu Jan 16 07:55:01 GMT 2003

Hi Glenn and All,

Thanks for your reply and advices.

: This may be an obvious question, but have you installed the printer using
the
: CUPS admin page http://localhost:631, that apparently generates the PPD
for the
: printer. Where are you seeing the raw device setting??

I setup raw device as my printer was a HP5P (no postscript). All printer
drivers came with CUPS only support postscript. Do you how I can get my HP5P
working without the raw device? With raw device I get perfect print on the
CUPS server (Linux Box). My print command is

print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s

But Windows clients, I get one page with couple lines PJL commands, then the
print out and many pages of garbage. I guess there's incompatibility between
drivers. But I don't how to solve them. My printer drivers are the latest
from HP. I tried both PCL and PS.

: I changed the permissions of both the ....../samba/printers directory and
also
: the /var/spool/samba directory to 777, though my smb.conf may be different
;-)

I now can upload drivers to /var/lib/samba/printers after assigning print
admins as the group users with rwx to /var/lib/samba/printers. I also
changed a mismatched winbind separator in my config (I had print admin =
@"MyDomain\Print Admin" but the separator was +). Would you please give me
some advice on how to solve my above problem.

Thanks and Regards,
Norman