[Samba] Winbind authenticated users - no home directory

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Jan 15 21:35:30 GMT 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, John Oliver wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 01:05:56PM -0800, John Oliver wrote:
> > I found a vague reference to that a little while ago, and have been
> > playing with it.  So far, the best result I've been able to obtain is to
> > get a message saying it's creating the home directory, and then
> > immediately boot me out.  The logs say:
>
> Actually, what seems to be happening is that pam_mkhomedir.so *can't*
> make the home directory... if I change it to "sufficient" I can log on,
> but back in / again.

Again, this is a Linux issue!

You need to identify the default home directory for pam_mkhomedir. I think
it is defined in /etc/default/useradd.

Make sure the default path exists. In the default home create a directory
for your NT Domain name. Now your user home directories should appear in
it.

My memory is NOT too clear on the finer points since it is over 2 years
since I did this.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra