[Samba] Windows Xp network file server

Mike Hillyer m.hillyer at telusplanet.net
Wed Jan 15 20:29:00 GMT 2003

Hi All;

I am setting up Samba as a file server for a network composed of all Windows
XP machines, using RH8.0 and the latest Samba (2.2.7), and I was wondering
if anyone had any suggestions or best practices for this setup, the server
and workstations are all connected to a single 10/100 switch, so the network
is low latency. The major applications are MS Office, outlook for e-mail,
ACT! 6, and 2 users do payroll with quickbooks.

Also, I recently had an ACT! database corrupt when I did a restart to add a
new share, anyone know how to prevent such a thing in the future? (Besides
making sure no-one is using act of course)

I mainly just want to make sure my Samba setup is optimized for this
environment.

Mike Hillyer

-----------------------------------------smb.conf------------------------

[global]
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
	load printers = yes
	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
	obey pam restrictions = yes
	null passwords = yes
	encrypt passwords = yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u