[Samba] Postscript printer PS-Logfile

Andre Dieball andre at dieball.net
Wed Jan 15 15:23:01 GMT 2003

Hello

I have the following strage problem here.

I have the following smb.conf:

---cut---
tux:/shr/pdfdropbox# more /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = de_zycko
        netbios name = tux
        server string = tux
        kernel oplocks = No
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        guest account = Nobody
        invalid users = root

# This tells samba to write log files per machine.
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
# This sets an alternate log level. Default is 2.
        log level = 3

        security = domain
;       security = server
        password server = xx.xx.xx.xx

        printer driver file = /etc/samba/printers.def

        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

        local master = No

        interfaces = xx.xx.xx.xx/255.255.255.0

        wins support = No

        character set = ISO8859-15
        client code page = 850

[shr]
   path = /shr
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   force user = nobody
   public = yes
[pdf]
        comment = PDF Printer
        path = /var/tmp
        create mask = 0600
        guest ok = yes
        printable = Yes
;       browseable = No
        print command = /usr/bin/printpdf.sh %s %U
        lpq command =
        lprm command =
        printer driver = HP C LaserJet 4500-PS
        printer driver location = \\%h\printer$
        public = yes

[pdfA3]
        comment = A3 PDF Printer
        path = /var/tmp
        create mask = 0600
        guest ok = yes
        printable = yes
        print command = /usr/bin/printpdf.sh %s %U
        lpq command =
        lprm command =
        printer driver = HP Color LaserJet 8550-PS
        printer driver location = \\%h\printer$
        public = yes
[printer$]
        path = /etc/samba/printdrivers
        guest ok = yes
        read only = yes
        public = yes
---cut---

the following happens "sometimes", which means approximately 3 - 5 times
a day:

A user prints over the printer pdf, but the saved postscript file is not
actually a postscript, it's a text-file with the content of the machines
logfile from /var/log/samba/$m. So it seams, that samba takes the wrong
input to write the file ...... ?!?!?!?!

Of course, after that, ps2pdf can't create the propper pdf and the
client get's an empty pdf (323 bytes).

When I restart the samba deamons (/etc/init.d/samba/restart) everything
works fine again until the next time ......

Everything else works, so the customer can look into the /shr share or
what ever .....

Clients are W2k and WinXP Pro

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Rgds.
	Andre

Problem in Windows: Boot
Problme in Linux: root

If you find any grammar mistakes - keep it.