[Samba] Printer not accessible! Plea

Robert Adkins raa at impelind.com
Wed Jan 15 14:42:01 GMT 2003

Martin,

	There is a great deal more that needs to be done other then the creation
of a smb.conf file for setting up a PDC for any Windows workstations.

	Unfortunately, I only have experience with setting up a PDC for a mixed
bag of Windows 9x, Windows NT 4.0 and Win2K systems. The only WinXP
machine we utilize is one laptop, which is rarely ever attached to the
corporate network. So, that machine is just setup for to see our domain
as a workgroup.

	I do know that some of the things that you need for a Samba PDC include
setting up machine accounts in both your normal UNIX environment and also
in the smbpasswd file. You also need a netlogon directory and a profiles
directory, if you are using roaming profiles.

	Unfortunately, I don't have enough time available to go over all the
configurations with you, since I am a one-man IT Department with many
projects currently in the works... What I can do is send you some links
and provide some guidance towards some information that helped me
greatly.

	One thing I recommend is to pick up a copy of the O'Reilly book, "Using
Samba". While it is slightly dated these days, the book was immeasurably
helpful as it explained quite a bit about how SMB (In Windows) works and
gave some great background information for configuring a Samba PDC.

	Another wonderful resource is the built-in Swat HTML help files. If you
haven't taken a look at Swat yet, definitely do so. It should have been
part of your installation process for the version of Samba that you are
using. One thing to consider before using Swat, is that Swat will rewrite
your configuration file. This is important, because Samba rereads that
file about every 20 to 30 seconds. This rewrite streamlines the file and
allows Samba to turn up the speed considerably, especially if you have
many shares. What it does is remove ALL of the comments and in-file
documentation.

	Another tool that I used to configure my Samba install is webmin. It can
be found at www.webmin.com. This tool is awesome for remotely
administrating a UNIX Server, if you want to use a GUI tool. (Sometimes I
really enjoy using such a tool, even though I am comfortable with CLI
configurations.) Webmin will display everything at once in an easy to
read format. The only thing it currently doesn't support configuring is a
Samba PDC.

	Here are a few links to some helpful Samba PDC setups:

	http://www.linuxnetmag.com/en/issue6/m6samba1.html

	http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/index.htm - There is a link titled
"Samba File/Print Sharing" which should prove helpful as it has a section
dedicated to Samba PDC.

	The final thing that I can recommend is to use the latest release of
Samba. I have read of a number of issues with older releases of Samba
with Windows XP and Windows 2000 with Service Pack 3 (but not SP1 or SP2
of Windows 2000.) I didn't have the time to really dig into those issues
and I wouldn't be able to reproduce them here since I haven|t quite the
same configurations of OSs. So, I can only imagine that MS made some
"minor" changes to the way those client Operating Systems talk via the
SMB protocol.

	I hope that has been helpful. Good luck with yor network!

Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer
Impel Industries, Inc.
Ph. 586-254-5800