[Samba] Change Samba PDC transparent

Robert Adkins raa at impelind.com
Tue Jan 14 22:06:00 GMT 2003

When you mean register the client, are you meaning "Join the Domain"?

Unless I am mistaken, I believe the machine account that you had to
create using smbpasswd creates the SID in the smbpasswd file, if you copy
that file over to the new server, and also copy over all the netlogon
information, profiles and such. Then you should have no issues and it
will be "transparent" to the clients.

I believe that the "Registering" process that the workstation goes
through when "creating" a machine account on the server is basically
negotiating the SID from the server and then pulling that into its own
registry.

If I understand correctly, all of the Samba files, smb.conf, smbpasswd
and the related accounts you create in the UNIX passwd/groups files act
as the PDC you are running. Theoretically, you should be able to take
those files anywhere, fire up the Samba service and be up and running
with an exact duplicate of the original Samba PDC, right down to the SID
of the individual workstations and user accounts.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, because then I will have more
work cut out for me when I build my Samba BDC.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer
Impel Industries, Inc.