[Samba] XP Woes

Riley rileyjmc at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 12 19:04:01 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I must be missing something.  Upgraded yesterday from 2.2.6x to 2.2.7a
(hoping to fix the problem) running on FreeBSD 4.7-R-p3.

After joining the domain successfully with two different machines similar
messages appear in the client logs:

[2003/01/11 13:50:24, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr.c:api_samr_set_userinfo(670)
api_samr_set_userinfo: Unable to unmarshall SAMR_Q_SET_USERINFO.

Trying to logon to the domain gives this:

Windows cannot connect to the domain either because the domain controller is
down or otherwise unavailable or because your computer account was not
found.

Nothing else is logged by samba or in xp.  Note that there's 4 other XP
computers logging into the domain without problem.

In computer configuration\windows settings\security settings\local
policies\security options
Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (when possible)
is disabled.

I assume the machine accounts are right or I couldn't join the
domain--although I did try
smbpasswd -a -m wksta$  with and without the '$'---but finally without.

Browsing the network works, and shares can be attached.  Just can't logon to
the domain. It's got to be something on the clients?

I've gone through the faqs--I'm probably missing something stupid in front
of my face.  Like I said there's 4 other xp clients.

Pointers at docs, suggestions, rtfms and insults gratefully accepted!

Thanks,

Riley

smb.conf listing:

#
#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

	netbios name = mrclean
	workgroup = inex
   	server string = Office server
   	; domain and local master browser
   	os level = 64
   	preferred master = yes
   	domain master = yes
	local master = yes
	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes
	domain logons = yes
	domain admin group = root @wheel
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u
	logon drive = u:
	logon home = \\%L\data
	hosts allow = 192.168.1.  127.
	log file = /var/log/log.%m
	max log size = 500
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	interfaces = 192.168.1.10/24
	wins support = yes
	dns proxy = no

==============================
#				1share
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes

# netlogon directory for Domain Logons
 [netlogon]
   comment = Windows Logon Service
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
   writeable = no
   write list = ntadmin
;   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
[Profiles]
    path = /var/data/profiles
    writeable = yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    browseable = no
    profile acls = yes
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writeable = no
   printable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no