[Samba] Allow group member to change permissions?

Shawn Wright swright at zuiko.sls.bc.ca
Sun Jan 12 04:35:01 GMT 2003

In the process of migrating file storage from NT to Samba servers, I am
running into the following problem. I need a way to allow members of the
group specified by file perms to change permissions on the file or dir. Here
is the scenario:

dir & files are owned by user (id 10634 in this case)
group ownership is the nt group "domain admins" (id 10000)

drwxrwx---    4 10634    10000          35 Sep  5 16:51 Test1

chacl shows the following additional acls:

[root at sgi student]# chacl -l Test1
Test1 [g::---,u:SHAWNIGAN+Test1:rwx,g:SHAWNIGAN+Domain
Admins:rwx,u::rwx,o::---,m::rwx/g::rw-
,u:SHAWNIGAN+Test1:rwx,g:SHAWNIGAN+Domain
Admins:rwx,u::rwx,o::---,m::rwx]

smb.conf has the following:
create mask = 2770
directory mask = 2770

The system is running SGI's XFS 1.02 installer version of RedHat 7.2, with
samba 2.2.3 and winbindd enabled for the NT domain.

The group in question is always domain admins, since regular users rarely
have need to change permissions. Perhaps there is a "safe" way of giving
domain admins root access to files via samba? Or is there a better way to
handle this?

Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager
Shawnigan Lake School
swright at SLS.bc.ca