[Samba] Slow performance with lots of files in one directory

Joshua Schmidlkofer menion at asylumwear.com
Sat Jan 11 05:23:01 GMT 2003

Have you read the XFS tuning recommendations?  The XFS developers bitch
because people don't tune their volumes, then they don't understand bad
performance...

notes from Gentoo install:
<snip>
Note:  You may want to add a couple of additional flags to the mkfs.xfs
command: -d agcount=3 -l size=32m. The -d agcount=3 command will lower
the number of allocation groups. XFS will insist on using at least 1
allocation group per 4 GB of your partition, so, for example, if you
hava a 20 GB partition you will need a minimum agcount of 5. The
try this w/ XFS
<snip>

mkfs.xfs -d agcount=(numgigs / 4) -l size=32m

===THEN==

when you mount, try logbuf=8 and noatime in the mount options.   Windows
is a killer for atimes.

js