[Samba] Default domain for winbindd?

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Fri Jan 10 20:42:01 GMT 2003

> Should have put in a real entry instead of assuming people
> would read a man page ...

;)

Actually, looking back now, he did reference the winbindd man page in
his first post, and looked through logs.  Maybe just ran out of steam
at that stage of the process?

> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=103608357527005&w=2 ,
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=103238578221048&w=2
>
> I think it's a bit suspect to suggest 3.0alpha over 2.2.x,
> depending on
> the application. For plain authentication use (ie desktops, ssh, cvs
> over ssh, pop/imap etc), it seems to work very well. I have a
> production server at a client, that I have never had problems with,
> service 600+ mailboxes to 60+ concurrent users.

I had similar success when I tried it... the only "problems" I
experienced were logs getting winbind errors for system accounts.  But
Jerry and Andrew both say don't use it in 2.x, and have said it more
than once on this list.

> I am quite sure 3.0alpha isn't supported yet either (which is the
> gist of the messages regarding winbind use default domain = yes).

Well, if he has winbind problems in 2.x with use default domain, I
suspect the samba team would say it got placed in 2.x to satisfy a
dependency of a code merge, has known flaws, and should not be used.
If he has problems in 3.x with winbind use default domain = yes, he's
likely to get more eyes.  That's my best guess, at least, and I
welcomed him to try it in 2.x, but suggested 3.x was the way to go if
he really needed it.

~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.