[Samba] Re: samba (2.2.7a) + openldap (2.0.x)

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Fri Jan 10 20:00:00 GMT 2003

Buchan Milne wrote:
> C.Lee Taylor wrote:
>
> OK, I stayed a bit late, waiting for things to finish compiling etc ...
> and did some tests. It seems to work. What I did was just point the
> production DC at a slave server, and then
>
> 1)try and change my password
> a)while both ldap servers were running (works)
> b)while only the slave is running (doesn't work)
> c)while only the master is running (doesn't work)
>
> 2)connect to my homes share
> a)while both servers were running (works)
> b)while only the slave was running (works)
> c)while only the master is running (doesn't work)
>
> So, it seems to be all correct, but it would be nice to have ldap
> failover (multiple ldap servers listed in smb.conf?), but not absolutely
> necessary. Now our WAN setup should work!

Well, not quite. I did a new test, this time with:

ldap/pdc: master ldap server and original dc
bgmilne: slave ldap
hercules: slave ldap, 2nd dc
thinkpad1: win2k/linux dual-boox client

pdc, hermes and hercules are on the same net, thinkpad1 is on a
crossover cable with hercules.

I could authenticate to hercules after doing the ldap setup only (did
not join hercules to the domain, just imported the domain SID). However,
I could not change the password, either from win2k, or from the
commandilne on hercules (smbpasswd -r hercules).

I will go through the unav.es howto again and see if I have missed
soemthing. Also, for some reason the profile didn't work. It's not
specificed in LDAP, but works on PDC when in the normal net. Ditto for
login scripts. The shares defined in hercules's smb.conf are accessible
after login though (but profiles are on root-squashed NFS to pdc, could
be the issue).

Failover (ldap server = bgmilne ldap) seems to work, but wasn't tested
extensively.

Regards,
Buchan