[Samba] Default domain for winbindd?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Fri Jan 10 18:15:02 GMT 2003

> Message: 16
> Subject: RE: [Samba] Default domain for winbindd?
> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:50:30 -0500
> From: daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
> To: chris.palmer at geneed.com, samba at lists.samba.org
>
> The reason why your line was badly formed was because it sounds like you
> used the name of the paramater without specifying any value... so the
> badly formed line gets ignored and the default (= no) used instead.
> What you were looking for was 'winbind use default domain = yes' ...

Should have put in a real entry instead of assuming people would read a
man page ...

> That being said, do not use this in 2.x because it was meant for 3.x and
> has problems in 2.x releases (
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=103608357527005&w=2 ,
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=103238578221048&w=2 ).  You can
> try it, but if you need to use this then you should really be in 3.x.

I think it's a bit suspect to suggest 3.0alpha over 2.2.x, depending on
the application. For plain authentication use (ie desktops, ssh, cvs
over ssh, pop/imap etc), it seems to work very well. I have a production
server at a client, that I have never had problems with, service 600+
mailboxes to 60+ concurrent users.

I am quite sure 3.0alpha isn't supported yet either (which is the gist
of the messages regarding winbind use default domain = yes).

Regards,
Buchan