[Samba] Re: samba digest, Vol 1 #2048 - 21 msgs

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Thu Jan 9 22:47:48 GMT 2003

anders.nordby at aftenposten.no wrote

>Slow performance with lots of files in one directory
>
>I've got performance problems with copying small files over
>to a Samba share in a directory that has lots of small files
>(10000 to 20000 files). It takes too long time to copy new
>files (they drip in at a fast pace), and smbd eats a lot of
>CPU time.

reiserfs is the right thing for you. I was again surprised
by how fast it handles meta-data (key to successful management
of large directories). quotacheck, the program that basically
computes disk usage by users and groups, took 14s for about
100,000 files and directories. It took over 245s for the
same data when it was an ext3 fs (same hardware). Similar
speedup for recursive getfacl/setfacl and other utilities.