[Samba] Default domain for winbindd?

Chris Palmer chris.palmer at geneed.com
Thu Jan 9 20:04:01 GMT 2003

Buchan Milne writes:

> > It'd be nice if there were an smb.conf option for [global] like
> > "default = winbind domain =3D WHATEVER". Is there a plan to include
> > such a feature = in the future, or does this feature exist and I
> > just haven't found it?
>
> Try 'winbind use default domain' in the global section of smb.conf,
> and it will use the default domain (the one which is already listed in
> 'workgroup').

I added that and restarted winbindd (and Samba just for good luck). It
didn't seem to help; I could not log in via SSH as merely chris.palmer.
I had to do the full GENEEDINC+chris.palmer as before.  Also, I get this
error:

===
params.c:Parameter() - Ignoring badly formed line in configuration file: winbind use default domain
===

So it looks like my version of winbind (from Samba 2.2.7) doesn't have
support for this feature.

> It's not supported by the samba team on 2.2.x, but it works quite well
> for authentication via pam (there are apparently issues with samba,
> specifically ACLs).

Yeah; doesn't seem to work for me at all.

Well, thanks for the tip. Will I just have to wait for Samba 3 for this
feature? Its lack is hardly a deal-breaker, so I can wait.

--
Chris Palmer   Systems Programmer   GeneEd