[Samba] Best samba filesystem

Gordon Pritchard gordonp at sfu.ca
Thu Jan 9 19:07:17 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 10:56, Chris Palmer wrote:

> Gordon Pritchard writes:
>
> > Out of all of this "slow performance with lots of files" discussion,
> > what would be the recommended filesystem?  I'm about to implement a
> > RAID-3 Samba-server for rich-media (multimedia), and I'd like (robust)
> > journalling, along with speed.

> It depends on how big your multimedia files are. If you mean MP3s, any
> such filesystem will be fine (including ext3). If you have big huge
> files (several GB or more), you might be happier with one of the
> filesystems made for large file support (Reiser, JFS, XFS).

	Sorry, I should have mentioned that :-(
	Filesizes will range up to 100GB, for now.  The array is 1 Terabyte
(there will be two such setups, on separate servers, each doing the
Samba thing).

	-Gord

--
Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng.         | Institute of Electrical and
Research Labs Manager            |      Electronics Engineers