[Samba] Samba Error

bobby bobby at jove.rutgers.edu
Wed Jan 8 17:14:01 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am trying to configure samba to basically allow win2k clients authenticate
users using their NIS passwords.   I have samba configured to specs as
mentioned in documentation I came across, however I am unable to get this
going.  I am running Linux 7.2 and smaba 2.2.1a.  I have also tried using
Linux 7.3 with samba 2.2.7a and still received the same errors.  I have also
enabled plain text password on the win2k clients.

I configured samba and ran the command

ypcat passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh >> /etc/samba/smbpasswd

Which goes ahead and grabs the NIS passwd file and cats it out to smbpasswd
with place holders (XXXXXXX).  I then add the syntax +:::::: in the
/etc/passwd so that it can go out and check NIS for authentication as well.
In theory (correct me if I am wrong) when I am trying to log in from the
win2k client, it should try to authenticate from /etc/samba/smbpasswd then
if it doesn¹t find the user it bounces out to /etc/passwd where it should
check for the user their and if it reaches the end of the file it should
then read +:::::: and bounce out to NIS.  However this not occurring.

At this point I just want to get the win2k clients to simply log in using
NIS as its authentication so that I don¹t have to create separate accounts
for the students both on the Unix and samba side.

If this sounds a bit crazy (cause believe me at this point I have tried
everything and could be losing my mind) or you cant understand what I am
saying please do not hesitate to give me a call so that I may explain my
situation better.

Any help/assistance would be appreciate.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Bobby Perez
Voice: 732/445-3418
Email: bobby at jove.rutgers.edu