[Samba] user names containing @

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jan 8 07:03:12 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 00:08, Roman Manz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are running Samba 2.2.2 on Solaris8; one client (MS 2000) is not able to map a drive:
> The tcpdump shows the correct user name <user>@<dom>.
> smbd -d 3 shows <user>_<dom> and thus the authentication on the PDC fails.
>
> Does anybody know why Samba translates the @ into an _?

Samba 2.2.2 got parinoid about what characters can be in usernames.  If
you can't change the username, you might consider modifying the list of
allowed characters - in smbd/reply.c:reply_sesssetup_and_X(), the
'alpha_strcpy' line.

Also see
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-ntdom/2001-December/054262.html
for the similar problem with different characters.

I do hope to be able to remove this check in Samba 3.0, but we have to
be very careful first.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org