[Samba] Wow im dumb

Jay Ts jay at jayts.cx
Wed Jan 8 06:16:00 GMT 2003

tufkal wrote:
> I think the reason im getting problems is the PC that is running SAMBA
> is also my firewall, and it blocks pretty much all requests, even from
> internal addresses.  What port(s) do I need to open?

137  (used by nmbd for NetBIOS name service)
138  (used for network browsing)
139  (used by smbd for file sharing and other operations)
445, if you want to support Win 2000/XP NetBIOS-free operation
901, if you want to use SWAT from another system on the network.

Keep all of the above ports closed, both incoming and outgoing,
for outside (e.g., Internet) connections, or in general, systems
outside of those you want your Samba server to serve.

Jay Ts