[Samba] Usernames with dots

daniel.jarboe at custserv.com daniel.jarboe at custserv.com
Tue Jan 7 19:40:01 GMT 2003

Try 'chown chris.palmer: myfile' ... with the trailing ":", chown does
not get fooled by the . in your username, and if no group follows then
your default login group is used, and it will correctly use chris.palmer
in its entirety for your username.

Is that enough to solve your problem?

~ Daniel

> Now, I could just use the numeric UID in place of the textual
> username,
> but using wbinfo I can't find out what winbind has set my UID to:
>
>     # wbinfo -r chris.palmer
>     Could not get groups for user chris.palmer
>     # wbinfo -r MacUser
>     Could not get groups for user MacUser
>
> "wbinfo -u" and "wbinfo -g" do work, giving me a list of users and
> groups. Also, I can discover my UID with getent:
>
>     # getent passwd | grep chris
>     #  GENEEDINC+chris.palmer:x:10010:10000:Chris
> Palmer:/home/chris.palmer:/bin/bash
>
> And yes, "chown 10010 somefile" works.
>

> So, two questions: Is there some way I can use text user/group names
> instead of UIDs/GIDs; and, is something wrong with my system,
> indicated
> by the bad output of "wbinfo -r"?
>

> Thanks,
> --
> Chris Palmer   Systems Programmer   GeneEd
>
> --

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.