[Samba] Re: Samba machine trust account setting in FreeBSD

Ronan Waide waider at waider.ie
Tue Jan 7 14:23:00 GMT 2003

On January 7, jeffm at andersonlabs.com said:
> I am assuming that you edited the /etc/passwd file via vi or another text
> editor?  If this is the case, appending a $ to the machine account will not
> work under FreeBSD.  Instead as root type vipw and then append the $ to the
> machine account.  I have done this and it works under FreeBSD.
>
> Jeff Meyer

Possibly the difference vipw makes is that it updates your shadow
file, if you have one. While I'm all in favour of 'smart' interfaces
like vipw, it's as well to know what's going on in the background as
well. So, check /etc/shadow (if it exists) to see if your useraccount
is mentioned there without the $.

Cheers,
Waider.
--
waider at waider.ie / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.

"Your broker is a half-naked blue-and-orange crypto-anarchist?"
                              - Neal Stephenson / The Great Simoleon Caper