[Samba] Problem I am having with Samba 2.2.7a and Win2k

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Jan 7 05:39:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Steve Hennerley wrote:

> Hi ... I am desperate now to solve this problem ... this is my absolute last
> resort attempt!

Ok. I'll try to help.

> Basically my samba is happily running and I can connect to it fine from 9x
> clients and from 2k client as a workgroup.

When you try to join the domain - DO NOT FIRST CONNECT TO / BROWSE THE
NETWORK!

Reboot your win2K client, log on as 'Administrator', right click on 'My
Computer', select 'Properties', click on 'Computer Name' (might be called
'Network ID', click on 'Change', click on Domain, then type in your domain
name (of course to start with the workgroup name was not the same (was
it?). When prompted type in the login name 'root' and the smbpassword you
gave root when on the samba server you did 'smbpasswd -a root'.

A few pointers BEFORE you do that:

	1. If the MS Win2K client is called 'fred' you need to on your
		samba server:

		useradd -d /dev/null -s /bin/false fred\$

Note: Note the '\' escaped '$'

		smbpasswd -a -m fred

Note: No trailing '$'

	2. Make sure that the TCP/IP config on your MS Win2K client has
		samba server IP addresses for both WINS servers (primary
		and secondary).

	3. Get rid of the 'socket address' line - it will bite you!

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
John T.
Samba-Team