[Samba] (fwd) files with dot at the end of the name

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Jan 7 00:43:00 GMT 2003

(Hopefully they target missiles more carefully than email. :-)

----- Forwarded message from "Mitchell, Sharlene K. (KTR)~U" <MITCHES at stratcom.mil> -----

From: "Mitchell, Sharlene K. (KTR)~U" <MITCHES at stratcom.mil>
Subject: files with dot at the end of the name
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 15:48:41 -0600
To: <mailman-owner at lists.samba.org>

I am having trouble with reading files with dots at the end of the
name.  We are using a Unix machine as our map server.  When looking at
the files on the Unix side, the files I am trying to read have the
following format "aaaa." where a is an alphabetic character.  When I
copy a file, the dot is stripped off; however, when I try to read the
content directly through Samba, I get an error.

Do we have something set incorrectly in Samba?  This is a Unix - W2K interface.

		 Sharlene Mitchell  #
		  ab
		USSTRATCOM - CESAR
		mitches at stratcom.mil