[Samba] Initial configuration help

tufkal tufkal at softhome.net
Mon Jan 6 23:05:00 GMT 2003

I have my Linux box setup net_masq (internet connection sharing) for a
windows XP PC.  I am using Mandrake 9.0.

I installed all the necessary RPMs for SAMBA and ran the wizard in SWAT
for the default setup.

I then made a user 'tufkal'

using smbclient i am able to log in to my home dir share.

But I cant get anything at all on the windows box.

net use z: \\hostnameofmyserver\tufkal

gets a prompt, but no suitable username/pass is accepted

browsing workgroup computers shows the samba server but nothing inside
it but errors

Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.7]

Sharename      Type    Comment
homes          Disk    Home Directories
print$         Disk
pdf-generator  Printer PDF Generator (only valid users)
IPC$           IPC     IPC Service (Samba Server 2.2.7)
ADMIN$         Disk    IPC Service (Samba Server 2.2.7)

Server               Comment
---------            -------
TUFKAL               Samba Server 2.2.7

Workgroup            Master
---------            -------
WORKGROUP

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2003/01/06 16:24:07

# Global parameters
[global]
	server string = Samba Server %v
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	printcap name = lpstat
	dns proxy = No
	printing = cups

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = Yes
	printable = Yes
	print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side
printer drivers.
	browseable = No

[print$]
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers
	write list = @adm root

[pdf-generator]
	comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
	path = /var/tmp
	printable = Yes
	print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u

Any ideas?