[Samba] Printer Driver Download Problem - PPD's Not DL'ing

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Jan 6 20:48:00 GMT 2003

Ben Brown wrote on Samba-Digest:

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 12:27:22 -0500
> From: Ben Brown <bbrown at regsrv.nw.uoguelph.ca>
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Subject: [Samba] Printer Driver Download Problem - PPD's Not DL'ing
>
> Hey All, just a quick question about printer upload/download stuff
> that's been confusing the hell out of me for a couple days...
>
> This might be a Samba, or a CUPS problem, so i've posted this on both
> newsgroups, but if anyone's had a similar problem I'd really appreciate
> any help!
>
> I'm running Samba 2.2.7 and CUPS 1.1.17 on a RedHat 7.3 System..   I'm
> trying to get the automatic printer driver downloads working by using
> the CUPS 'cupsaddsmb' script which uses smbclient and rpcclient calls to
> upload the drivers and set the drivers for the printer.
> cupsaddsmb appears to function correctly, but when trying to download
> the drivers on a Win9x machine, not all of the driver files download.
>
> the rpccommand:
>
> rpcclient localhost -N -U'root%j0inm3' -c 'adddriver "Windows 4.0"
> "test1:ADOBEPS4.DRV:test1.PPD:NULL:ADOBEPS4.HLP:PSMON.DLL:RAW:ADOBEPS4.DRV:test1.PPD,ADOBEPS4.HLP,PSMON.DLL,ADFONTS.MFM,DEFPRTR2.PPD,ICONLIB.DLL"'

This looks like it is transfering too many items (1 too much, the ADOBEPS4.HLP
is transfered twice) through the adddriver command.

See "man rpcclient", section adddriver, where it should only be

                    Long Printer Name:\
                    Driver File Name:\
                    Data File Name:\
                    Config File Name:\
                    Help File Name:\
                    Language Monitor Name:\
                    Default Data Type:\
                    Comma Separated list of Files

It works for me flawlessly, but then -- I have only the option to test
on W32X86 architecture...

Looking at your quote above from the verbose output of "cupsaddsmb", it
looks like this is doing wrong:

    "test1:         # Long Printer Name
    ADOBEPS4.DRV:   # Driver File Name
    test1.PPD:      # Data File Name
    NULL:           # Config File Name
    ADOBEPS4.HLP:   # Help File Mame
    PSMON.DLL:      # Language Monitor Name
    RAW:            # Default Data Type

    ADOBEPS4.DRV:   # hmmm.... -- here the same name (it is the
                    # "Driver File Name") appears a socond time!

    test1.PPD,      # Comma Separated List of Files
    ADOBEPS4.HLP,
    PSMON.DLL,
    ADFONTS.MFM,
    DEFPRTR2.PPD,
    ICONLIB.DLL"

I'd have a look on the release notes for CUPS 1.1.18 at

     http://www.cups.org/relnotes.php

to see if this has been corrected.

> finishes correctly, setting the driver files from the print$ share..
>
> BUT..
>
> when using a win9x machine to install the printer only the
> 'ADOBEPS4.DRV' file gets downloaded..  This isnt a problem if a
> PostScript printer has been previously installed on the system, other
> than that the PPD file for the printer 'test1' isnt available.  And
> without the correct PPD, the printer's functionality is limited.
>
> So, the problem lies in the rpc command?  or the file download?  I've
> been stareing at CUPS and Samba FAQ's, newsgroups, source code, and
> debug logs and havent been able to clearify what the problem is..
>
> If anyone's got driver dl's working with cupsaddsmb, i'd love to hear
> from you!
>
> TIA

> Ben Brown
> Systems Analyst