[Samba] users can't set smbpasswd, root can

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Mon Jan 6 17:39:00 GMT 2003

The entry you are showing is NOT for no password but for a disabled
password.

It should look like the following if there is no password

test:207:NO PASSWORDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NO

Dan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I just created a new smbpasswd file, all users with unset passwords.
> Problem is, users can't set their passwords, only I can as root.
> Password is not set / blank, but they still get:
>
> >test> smbpasswd
> >Old SMB password: <enter>
> >New SMB password: Samba
> >Retype new SMB password: Samba
> >machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86: The
> >specified password is invalid.
> >Failed to change password for cas
> >test>
>
> entry for "cas" in smbpasswd is:
> test:207:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[U
> ]:LCT-00000000:test user
>
> smb.conf has:
> encrypt passwords = yes
> smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>
> Works fine when changed as root, so everything else seems to be set ok....
>
> ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> PS... any way to make the smbpasswd file using everyones unix password
> that's already set?

> Dan Kirkpatrick                   dkirk at physics.syr.edu
> Computer Systems Manager
> Department of Physics
> Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
> http://www.physics.syr.edu/help/    Fax:(315) 443-9103

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D