[Samba] Printer Driver Download Problem - PPD's Not DL'ing

Ben Brown bbrown at regsrv.nw.uoguelph.ca
Mon Jan 6 17:28:13 GMT 2003

Hey All, just a quick question about printer upload/download stuff
that's been confusing the hell out of me for a couple days...

This might be a Samba, or a CUPS problem, so i've posted this on both
newsgroups, but if anyone's had a similar problem I'd really appreciate
any help!

I'm running Samba 2.2.7 and CUPS 1.1.17 on a RedHat 7.3 System..   I'm
trying to get the automatic printer driver downloads working by using
the CUPS 'cupsaddsmb' script which uses smbclient and rpcclient calls to
upload the drivers and set the drivers for the printer.
cupsaddsmb appears to function correctly, but when trying to download
the drivers on a Win9x machine, not all of the driver files download.

the rpccommand:

rpcclient localhost -N -U'root%j0inm3' -c 'adddriver "Windows 4.0"
"test1:ADOBEPS4.DRV:test1.PPD:NULL:ADOBEPS4.HLP:PSMON.DLL:RAW:ADOBEPS4.DRV:test1.PPD,ADOBEPS4.HLP,PSMON.DLL,ADFONTS.MFM,DEFPRTR2.PPD,ICONLIB.DLL"'

finishes correctly, setting the driver files from the print$ share..

BUT..

when using a win9x machine to install the printer only the
'ADOBEPS4.DRV' file gets downloaded..  This isnt a problem if a
PostScript printer has been previously installed on the system, other
than that the PPD file for the printer 'test1' isnt available.  And
without the correct PPD, the printer's functionality is limited.

So, the problem lies in the rpc command?  or the file download?  I've
been stareing at CUPS and Samba FAQ's, newsgroups, source code, and
debug logs and havent been able to clearify what the problem is..

If anyone's got driver dl's working with cupsaddsmb, i'd love to hear
from you!

TIA