[Samba] SWAT Question

Ronan Waide waider at waider.ie
Mon Jan 6 01:29:01 GMT 2003

On January 5, Slarsen at lyrix.com said:
> I am running a Samba Server on a 7.0 Linux machine.
> I am having poor luck in enabling SWAT. As this machine
> has no inetd.conf file but instead has a xinetd.conf file.
> To this file I have added the line:
>
> swat stream tcp nowait.400 root /usr/sbin/swat swat
>
> Then rebooted the system, restarted samba.
> Then I've tried to connect to the IP, http://10.0.2.26:901
> and it doesn't display the swat admin page.
>
> I am not sure what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Steve L

xinetd.conf is very different to inetd.conf. Rather than editing the
xinetd.conf file directly, put the details of the service into a file
in /etc/xinetd.d/ and format it like this:

# default: on
service swat
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        port            = 901
        type            = UNLISTED
        wait            = no
        user            = root
        server          = /usr/sbin/swat
        server_args     = swat
        disable         = no
}

then restart xinetd (service xinetd restart) and try again.

Note, this is untested. You may need to check the xinetd.conf manual
page to make sure the above is formatted correctly.

Cheers,
Waider.
--
waider at waider.ie / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.

AjD feels frustrated in his attempts to establish the delinitations of
  horror in puppy-burying.