[Samba] mksmbpasswd.sh and passwd sync problems...

Bob Bob at yellowbugcomputers.com
Sun Jan 5 16:24:01 GMT 2003

Hello Everyone!

I've spent quite a bit trying to get these shares to work just right. I'll  past the output of my smb.conf at the end of this message. If anyone has any advice on this, that would be great.

My first problem is that I'm trying to sync up my /etc/passwd with the /etc/samba/smbpasswd file. (I'm using Mandrake 9.0 and Samba 2.2.6-1.0.pre2.2.mdk. Mandrake puts the smbpasswd file in the /etc/samba directory. When I do this command

cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd

It does create a smbpasswd file. However, then None of the users can log in to the shares. I can log into the win98 client, and then see the user's home directory, the care directory, and the public directory but can't log in to them.

I've also tried to create the smbpasswd file with webmin, but that doesn't seem to work either, it gives me three options:
For newly created users, set the password to 1. no password, 2. account locked, 3. use this password

What if I want the same password as the linux password? argh!

The only way I can log into the shares is to actually create an individual password using smbpasswd -a username.

What am I missing? I know I have successfully done this in the past?

When I do create the password with smbpasswd, I can log in, see the shares, and actually log in, but Ihave to enter in the password again to access the shares. Should I have to log in twice?

Sorry for the double questions, Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = PARADISE
        netbios name = SERVER
        server string = Linux Server %v
        interfaces = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.254
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = lpstat
        dns proxy = No
        printing = cups
        wins support = yes
        os level = 65
        local master = yes
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directory
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s
        # using cups own drivers (use generic PostScript on clients).
        lpq command = lpstat -o %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
        browseable = No

[public]